10222017Headline:

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

HomePennsylvaniaPhiladelphia

Email Jamie Sheller
Jamie Sheller
Jamie Sheller
Attorney • (800) 883-2299

Mass. Jury Awards Family $63 Million for Girl's Near-Fatal Motrin Injuries

Comments Off

Samantha T. Rekis was 7-years-old and developing a fever. Her parents did what most would: they gave her a popular pain reliever, Motrin, to reduce the aches and pains and fever.

But after taking the drug, Samantha developed blisters and fatigue, and the condition got worse. A lot worse. She reportedly lost most of her skin, and her physicians were forced to put her in a medically induced coma whyle they puzzled over the bizarre reaction. She was diagnosed with Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, a rare but serious reaction that has been linked to some over-the-counter pain medications. Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis is a serious form of a condition known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which is generally triggered by a reaction to drugs.

Samantha, now 16, was hospitalized for months, remains legally blind, and she gets severely exhausted if she walks more than 150 yards, the Boston Globe reports.

On Wednesday, a jury found that Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary, McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals, failed to warn consumers about Motrin's potential side effects. The jury awarded $50 million to Samantha and $6.5 million to each of her parents.

In a similar case in Philadelphia, Pennsyvlania, a jury in May of 2011 awarded $10 million to the family of Brianna May, a 12-year-old girl who was blinded in one eye and suffered burns over 84 percent of her body after taking Children's Motrin in 2000.

Sheller, P.C. attorneys are investigating similar claims of children injured by Motrin. If you or anyone you know has developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome after taking Motrin, please call (800) 883-2299 to discuss your legal rights. You may visit us on the Web at www.sheller.com